Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Quilting On..

Here are a couple pictures of a quilt I just finished quilting. It was pieced by Penni B. some 30+ years ago! She said she was 19 years old when she did the hand applique, hand embrodiery and pieced the blocks together. It was a project her mother helped her with. It has been sitting in a bag and boxed in the attic over the past 30 years. She found it and wanted it quilted to give to her mother, who is now 80 years old.

The applique and embroidery is very simple and has a folk-art effect. The piecing was very good, considering it was before rotary cutters, and it lays flat.
She used cotton and cotton-poly blends.
It was a pleasure to quilt this - a treasure for their family.
I did a freehand feather with red thread in the red frames, a swag in the outter borders, cross-hatching with white thread in the pink sashings, and SID (stitch-in-the-ditch) around each appliques with a simple meander in the white background.

2 comments:

Elsie Campbell said...

Your feathers really enhance this quilt! Love it! And I'm following Lisa Boyer's blog Dorky Homemade Look, too. I met her when I was writing and editing for the magazines that first published her hilarious essays that ended up being published in book form by Good Books, the publisher of my newest book. Good to find you here!

Roseanne said...

what a lovely quilt .I bet you fill proud to be able to finish of this quilt. I hope the lady that is getting this quilt will love it.