Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Jacket

Last month I took a class on quilted garment construction. Now I am determined to get a simple jacket finished by this weekend, the International Quilt Show. This is my first one.... I have no garment making experience whatsoever and it is a real challenge.
I decided to quilt my fabric on the longarm. I used a wool batt, and after it was quilted, it was washed and dried. Then I laid out my pattern pieces on the fabric and cut them out. What's so difficult about that - right?
Here are my not-so-mini mistakes (so far) - I can't put the pockets on or it will cover my quilting designs on the front - I can't figure out how to cover the seam inside the hood - I laid one of my hood pattern pieces the wrong way so now the lining fabric is going in the wrong direction. And I haven't even sewn all the pieces together yet, so there are probably more surprises to come!
This will be my first and probably my last quilted jacket, but it will be finished by this weekend -- no matter what! Maybe you'll see me walking around in it or at least carrying it over my arm!

1 comment:

quiltlover said...

I can't wait to see the finished product!